07/08/2020 – Morning shift – carla cornelius

Shift Report:

On my arrival at 9:00 Fela was sitting on the settee being slightly vocal, and listening to music. I had handover from Claire and Angelia that Fela had not slept well and only had about three hours. Fela seemed quite happy despite the little, sleep, so Teresa and I decided to offer him the choice of bike ride or Flip Out to see if he would still be keen on any exercise. Teresa offered Fela some more music as his music had come to an end. He got up and pointed to ‘The Greatest Showman’ on Plex.

Amazingly, as I was doing the board with Fela, he chose the bike ride. We decided to set off early because the weather forecast was for a hot day and we knew it would get hotter as the day wore on. We got the two rucksacks packed with Fela’s two flasks of water and snacks to have on the way. We checked on the bikes to make sure they were roadworthy. I drew Teresa’s attention to the Cycling Guide on the website in the Staff Room. She was dead excited!

We set of at 10:20. At the footbridge in Norton Heights, we gave Fela the choice of right or left. He chose left for the second consecutive week in the direction of Holden Pool, and Holden Lane park. There were not too many people today. When we got as far as Birches Head Road, we turned back and stopped in the park to have a break and snack. Fela was sweating a lot so we helped dry him with the towel, removed his helmet, gloves and rucksack so he could cool down. We had a lovely breezy rest while he had his snack and water.

It began spitting rain so we put Fela’s waterproof jacket vest on but within minutes of setting off on the return journey, it stopped. We we reached the point of the footbridge, we asked Fela whether he wanted to continue or go home. He chose home so we headed for home and got back at 11:45. I put the bikes away whilst Teresa tended to Fela by helping him remove his helmet, gloves and rucksack. Whilst in the house,, she helped him change his clothes which were saturated.

At 12:25, Fela sat down and had his supplements and lunch of peanut butter and jam sandwiches with water. He requested rice pudding but I told him I would make some for him on Sunday, but he could have his cake later after dinner. He signed for something which I didn’t understand so I prompted him to follow me to the kitchen to show me. He asked for a bowl and was eyeing the cake box so I deflected his attention to the cupboard and gave him a handful of corn chips instead. He was happy with this.

Afterwards, he transitioned to the settee and I put on some relaxing saxophone jazz music. I gave him some cotton pads with witchhazel as he was scratching his keloids. As he rubbed them with the pads, I sat down on the floor next to him and sewed the hole by the pocket in his turquoise joggers. I prompted him to lay down and within minutes he had fallen asleep so I closed the blinds, curtains, removed the black phone, unplugged the white phone, removed his rucksack with the mobile phone, and closed the kitchen door because the washing machine was on.

Teresa and I remained in the staff room, talking quietly until Emma arrived. We had handover, then I left just before 14:00. Fela was still sleeping. Staff were instructed not to let him sleep past 14:30 latest.

Arousal States – Start: 2a – Vocal End: 1 Baseline Did his state change? No to Did he have a bowel movement? Yes Bristol score: Was Fela incontinent?: No Did he have vigorous exercise?: Yes – Bike ride in neighbourhood