15/09/2021 – Morning & Afternoon shift – carla cornelius

Shift Report:

* Profuse apologies to Teresa as we did not pick up the message until 9:30 that she could not stay on until 9:45. Hope she got to her appointment at the vet.

Michael rushed off to collect Fela and brought him back to the house as we decided to bring the bags of bedding, towels and extra clothes to Green Pastures before setting off to the hospital.

We had to bandage Fela before departure as he had not been bandaged. This was obviously due to a misunderstanding. I asked for us to try letting Fela sleep without bandages as he has been sweating so much particularly his head.

Fela was calm and happy. We set off just after 10:00. I rang the hospital dressings clinic to let them know we were running late. They were very understanding. Fela had his snack en route then we stopped at the Motorway Services.

We arrived at the hospital just before 12:00 and waited for just about 10 minutes before we were seen by two nurses we had not seen before.  I shared all my concerns about Fela sweating a lot and being vocal which seems to be due to his discomfort from the bandages. They recommended Trimovate cream to be applied to the insides of the keloids where new skin is forming. This will help to smooth the surface because Fela is healing so fast it is leading to over granulation. They applied this then redressed his face but just the keloid area with no bandage. This was just a trial to allow more ventilaltion to Fela’s head.

We arrived at Toby’s Carvery just before 13:30. Fela really enjoyed his carver but we had to wait a  long time because his veg had to be cooked from scratch due to his food intolerances. He waited patiently and appeared sleepy, but came alive once the food arrived just before 14:00. Afterwards, he put the dessert menu on the table and pointed to it so we treated him to 3 scoops of sorbet which brought a big smile to his face.

Fela napped for 30 minutes on the way home. We arrived back at Green Pastures at 16:30 and I offered Fela a strawberry and banana ice lolly. We rang Nanna Hazel which woke him up and brought some smiles to his face as before then he was looking sleepy again.

After dinner, he opened the two ‘Get well’ cards which Nanna Hazel sent him. I read them to him. Fela chose music over DVD after dinner but he was not keen on dancing. I offered Walk at home but he was too tired as were we all.

He is currently in the bath, and has just started being vocal so I will go and help him with the final stages of his bath.

Arousal States – Start: 1 Baseline End: 1 Baseline Did his state change? Yes to 2a – Vocal Fela has been vocal on and off throughout the day but did not appear unhappy. Did he have a bowel movement? Yes Bristol score: Was Fela incontinent?: No Did he have vigorous exercise?: No – Why no exercise? We spent most of the day on the road and in Birmingham so we were all really tired on our return home.