18/05/2020 – Day shift – carla cornelius

Shift Report:

On my arrival Fela was in his rocking chair being slightly vocal. Emma passed over about the disturbed night and red alert but because he looked relatively calm, I suggested to Claire, we take him on a bike ride in the neighbourhood using his bikes.

I checked on the bikes in the garage to make sure they were fit for use. I used disinfectant on the saddles, handle bars, bells and on the helmets and Fela’s gloves. Michael helped us to put air in the tyres. Once everything was good to go, I did the board with Fela. He seemed okay with the idea. We prompted him to use his lightweight trainers instead of his hiking trainers as we figured they would be lighter on the pedals and offer more flexibility. Plus, it was a dry day with little chance of rain.

We set off at 10:45 after deciding to pack Fela’s snack since he had a leisurely breakfast. After 10 minutes, we had to stop to pump Fela’s tyres; thank god we took the pump with us on Michael’s advice. Fela waited patiently whilst we did this then we continued all the way to Chatterley Whitfield, dismounting occasionally to go through narrow barriers and cross the roads. Fela was always in the middle and I was the outrider and Claire was the rearguard. After 40 minutes we dismounted on a bench overlooking part of the Whitfield valley for his snack and water. we then rode back towards home, but  we went as far as Holden Pool past the back of the Horn & Trumpet pub where Fela occasionally eats, so I could show Claire what was in the opposite direction.

To get home as quickly as possible, we took a route across the bridge behind the pub and on to Chasewater drive.  On returning home, it was 12:30 so we prompted Fela to change his clothes then prepared lunch. After a slightly late lunch, Claire offered Fela sleep or Art. He chose to lie down on the red settee so we closed the curtains, unplugged his phone, took the other handsets into the staff room , and put some relaxing jazz music on in the background. Claire wrapped him up snugly in his red and blue throw. Within minutes Fela was silent and appeared to have fallen asleep.

Fela slept for 1 hour and 25 minutes during which we got on with some quieter chores. I plucked some weeds in the garden. Fela went to the loo, then had his snack soon after waking. Michael had brought some shopping in from Freshways so he had a fresh supply of red peanuts which he enjoyed for his snack.

I decided to try my hand at attacking the mould on the grout in the bathroom using a mixture of sodium bicarbonate, vinegar and a toothbrush.

*It is important to remember to open the bathroom window after Fela has his bath at night. If you don’t want to keep it open overnight, you can close it again before sleeping. Mould thrives in moist conditions so there isn’t enough ventilation getting into the bathroom after Fela uses it at night.

Chloe and Zoe Lou arrived around 16:30. I passed over some information, then bade Fela goodbye.

*Fela has a new CD which he got for his birthday. It’s the soundtrack of the ‘Aeronauts’ film which he saw at the cinema last year. It can be kept in his car, and is available on Plex.

Arousal States – Start: 3 – Very Noisy End: 1 Baseline Did his state change? Yes to 1 Baseline Fela became increasingly quiet as the shift wore on, especially after his nap. Did he have a bowel movement? No Bristol score: Was Fela incontinent?: No Did he have vigorous exercise?: Yes – We all walked and cycled on the paths in Norton heights to Chatterley Whitfield via Ford Green then to Holden Pool and back home. It was a total of 1 hour 10 minutes.