18/08/2021 – Morning & Afternoon shift – carla cornelius

Shift Report:

The following are the key features of Fela’s day:

  • 5:30 Zoe woke him to have his last drink of water before the cryosurgery.
  • 6:00 Mama greeted he and Zoe in their hotel room. Fela was getting dressed and looking happy.
  • We left the hotel around 6:30 and reached the hospital short stay unit at 6:45. A queue was forming but we were number three, and had to wait for nearly an hour before we were attended to, as they were late opening the door. Fela was very patient and thankfully chairs were provided for us to sit and wait.
  • The receptionist was just about to take Fela’s temperature in his ear when he was standing up seconds after ushering us in. Fela began to get frustrated so he took us into a side room on the ward. This averted an arousal, and Fela was calm again.
  • A nurse came to greet us and take details and Fela’s blood pressure and temperature. Due to the delay, Mama decided to sing hymns to Fela, Michael joined in and Mama read him some psalms from the Bible. He was full of smiles throughout so this helped to distract him from any hunger he might be feeling.
  • 8:30 The surgeon’s assistant, anaesthetist, anaesthetist assistant and finally the plastic surgeon came to greet us and go through a few matters including paperwork for me to sign.
  • 9:15 I accompanied Fela into the anaesthetist room where he had a gas mask put on and I talked him through this, did the sign and helped him to hold it over his nose and mouth.
  • Michael, Zoe and I went to get some breakfast from the hospital canteen.
  • 12:00 I went to speak to the nurse on duty to inquire about Fela and was told that he was in recovery and I would soon be called to see him.
  • 12:15 I went to see him he was sitting up, leaning forward with an oxygen mask over his nose and mouth. He was half asleep and kept falling asleep. I spoke encouraging words to him and stroked his arms gently.
  • 13:15 Fela was taken back to the ward after I spoke to the anaesthetist and he was given the all-clear by him. He reported that the operation had gone well, and everything was normal.
  • 14:00 Fela finally requested something to drink around so we gave him some water followed by some GF bread with peanut butter and raspberry jam.
  • He was sleeping most of the time and would wake for a few minutes then go back to sleep.
  • 14:30.We were told we could leave whenever but we explained that Fela was still groggy and we wanted to wait for him to sleep off the anaesthetic some more.
  • 14:40 Fela slept for the next two hours in a deep sleep. Fela went to the loo and passed urine for the first time.
  • 16: 30 Fela threw up on the floor. We were re-assured that this was normal.
  • 16:45  We were discharged from the ward with paperwork, dressings, cream, sick bowls, urinals; Fela was assisted to get dressed and we requested a wheelchair to take him to the car park.
  • 17:0o Michael brought the car to the entrance and we left the hospital. En route, Fela threw up in the sick bowl which we were able to empty on the grassy edge of the motorway. For the rest of the journey, he held on to the bowl. He slept for most of the journey whilst leaning on his v-shaped pillow.
  • 19:00 We arrived back at Fela’s home and had a detailed handover with Teresa and Dan. We left Fela on the settee in their capable hands and dropped Zoe back home.
  • All in all, Fela has been an absolute star and has coped with the changes and the post-surgery discomfort exceedingly well. We thank God everything went smoothly.

Arousal States – Start: 1 Baseline End: 1 Baseline Did his state change? No to Did he have a bowel movement? No Bristol score: Was Fela incontinent?: No Did he have vigorous exercise?: No – Why no exercise?The whole day was spent at the hospital as he was due for his cryosurgery. After the surgery, he was recovering.