Guide to Mealtimes
- The TEACHH board is done in advance, to show Fela when his meal is next.
- The table is set prior to the meal, staff ask Fela if he would like to help with this. We always put the water jug in the centre of the table, we put the fork on the left and knife on the right, plate on the placemat, between Fela’s fork and knife, glass of water to the left.
- If Fela is having supplements, they go to the right across from the glass of water.
- We let Fela know that it’s time for our meal, so we pause DVD or Music.
- On some occasions Fela will then go to the toilet, on his way to the kitchen.
- Fela needs to wash his hands or use disinfectant wipes before and after eating.
- Fela goes to the kitchen and gets his apron.
- Fela goes into the dining room and puts his apron on.
- Fela sits down and we all say prayer.
- After this Fela will look at staff and sign “I would like”, to which staff reply back “Neat and Tidy”.
- We eat our meal and after Fela will drink his water and then take his dishes out to the kitchen and remove his apron.
*The whole team needs to use consistent words with Fela e.g. “dinner” not tea, “lunch” not dinner, “biscuit” not cookie, “nice hands”, “neat and tidy”.
*The second set of cutlery needs to be kept in the top drawer of the sideboard so Fela can access it when he wants to set the table or get a spoon for his sauce bowl.