June 2021 – We are recruiting:
Fela is a young man with a diagnosis of autism, he has severe learning difficulties, communicates mainly using the Makaton sign language and has occasional challenging behaviours. At 6′ 3″ he is a gentle giant who loves all sorts of activities.
He has a support team of eight able men and women to provide the essential 24 hour support Fela needs to live as independent a life as possible, to help his develop life skills, and to engage in many and varied activities.
You will not be just a ‘personal assistant’ but will be come a dependable friend aiding his development and supporting him with all that he does.
Could you become a member of Team Fela?
Team Members :
- You must be able to work in the UK, and speak a good standard of English.
- Have experience in supporting of at least one of the following, and preferable more: autism, severe learning difficulties or challenging behaviours.
- Fela communicates through his own modifications of the Makaton sign language, ideally you must have some experience of supporting people who use sign language or be prepared to learn.
- Be fit enough to support him in a range of activities including, walking, cycling, swimming, yoga, horse riding.
- Have skills to support him with cooking, reading, household chores, laundry etc.
- Most members of the team will need to have a driving licence.
- We recruit at hourly rates starting at £ 9.20/hour, rising to £9.50 on satisfactory completion of your probationary period.
- There will be a six-monthly hourly rate enhancement in recognition of your satisfactory continued support to Fela, to a current maximum of £11 per hour.
- You will work shift patterns of around 35 hours per week, on all days of the week and on Public Holidays, as the shift plan requires.
- We are also looking for people who would be interested in part time work.
- Sleeping night shift, 9:15 pm to 9:15 am, is at your full hourly rate.
- Public Holidays are at time and a half, and 5.6 weeks paid holiday per year.
- We shall pay for your Enhanced DBS checks.
- When on shift your meals will be provided as you will eat with Fela helping him to develop and maintain dining skills.
- We provide comprehensive CPD training to keep your skill set up to date. Training providers we use include National Autistic Society [NAS], Red Cross, British Institute of Learning Difficulties [BILD], HANDLE [Holistic Approach to Neuro Development and Learning Efficiency] and CaringForCare.